[O.K. Corral]
Den O. K. Corral kann man besichtigen. In ihm sind alle Beteiligten der damaligen Schießerei als lebensgroße Figuren originalgetreu aufgestellt.

Die Zeitung "The Tombstone Epitaph" berichtete seinerzeit ausführlich über den "Shootout". Einen Ausschnitt hieraus sowie die Schilderung des Sheriffs finden Sie hier jeweils im originalen Wortlaut.




Positionen der Männer
unmittelbar vor Beginn
der Schießerei

1   Virgil Earp
2   Wyatt Earp
3   Morgan Earp
4   Doc Holliday
5   Ike Clanton
6   Billy Clanton
7   Frank McLaury
8   Tom McLaury






Die Gräber von Billy Clanton
und Frank McLaury










 2       5










The Tombstone Epitaph



Three Men Huried Into
Eternity in the Dura-
tion of a Moment.

Stormy as were the early days of Tombstone, nothing ever occurred equal to the event of yesterday. Since the retirement of Ben Sippy as marshal and the appointment of V.W. Earp to fill the vacancy, the town has been noted for its quietness and good order. The fractious and formerly much dreaded cowboys when they came to town were upon their good behavior, and no unseemly brawls were indulged in, and it was hoped by our citizens that no more such deeds would occur as led to the killing of Marshal White, one year ago. It seems that this quiet state of affairs was but the calm that precedes the storm that burst in all its fury yesterday, with this difference in results, that the lightning's bolt struck in a different quarter than the one that fell one year ago. This time it struck with its full and awful force upon those who, heretofore, have made the good name of this country a byword and a reproach, instead of upon some officer in the discharge of his duty or a peaceable and unoffending citizen.

Sometime Tuesday Ike Clanton came into town and during the evening had some little talk with Doc Holliday and Marshal Earp, but nothing that caused either to

suspect, further than their general knowledge of the man and the threats that had previously been conveyed to the Marshal that the gang intended to clean out the Earps, that he was thirsting for blood at this time, with one exception, and that was that Clanton had told the Marshal, in answer to a question, that the McLaurys were in Sonora. Shortly after this occurred someone came to the Marshal and told him that the McLaurys had been seen a short time before, just below town. Marshal Earp, not knowing what might happen and feeling his responsibility for the preservation of the peace and order of the city, staid on duty all night and added to the police force his brother Morgan and Holliday. The night passed without any disturbance whatever, and at sunrise he went home and retired to rest and sleep. A short time afterward one of his brothers came to his house and told him that Clanton was hunting him, with threats of shooting him on sight. He discredited the report and did not get out of bed. It was not long before another of his brothers came down and told him the same thing, whereupon he got up, dressed and went with his brother Morgan up town. They walked up Allen Street to Fifth, crossed over to Fremont and down to Fourth, where, upon turning up Fourth toward Allen, they came upon Clanton, with a Winchester rifle in his hand and a revolver on his hip. The Marshal walked up to him, grabbed the rifle and hit him a blow at the same time on the head,
stunning him so that he was able to disarm him without further trouble. He marched Clanton off to the police court, where he entered complaint against him for carrying deadly weapons, and the court fined Clanton $25 and costs, making $27.50 altogether. This occurrence must have been about 1 o'clock in the afternoon.

Close upon the heels of this came the finale, which is best told in the words of R. F. Coleman, who was an eye-witness from the beginning to the end. Mr. Coleman says: I was in the O.K. Corral at 2:30 p.m., ...
... Virgil Earp say, "Give up your arms or throw up your arms." There was some reply by Frank McLaury, but at the same moment there were two shots fired simultaneously by Doc Holliday and Frank McLaury, when the firing became general, over thirty shots being fired. Tom McLaury fell first, but raised and fired again before he died. Bill Clanton fell next, and raised to fire again when Mr. Fly took his revolver from him. Frank McLaury ran a few rods and fell. Morgan Earp was shot through and fell, Doc Holliday was hit in the left hip, but kept on firing. Virgil Earp was hit in the third or fourth fire in the leg which staggered him, but he kept up his effective work. Wyatt Earp stood up and fired in rapid succession, as cool as a cucumber, and was not hit. Doc Holliday was as calm as if a target practice, and fired rapidly. After the firing was over .....




was sworn for the prosecution and testified as follows: About 2:30 I was in the barber's shop and heard of trouble between the Clantons and Earps. I went over to Hafford's corner. I asked Virgil Earp, the marshal, what was the excitement. He said there was a lot of ------ in town looking for a fight. He mentioned no names. I said to Earp, "You had better disarm the crowd." He said he would not, but would give them a chance to make a fight. I said, "It is your duty as a peace officer to disarm the parties." I meant any parties connected with the cowboys who had arms. Morgan Earp and Holliday were the ones I was talking to at the intersection of Allen and Fourth. Virgil Earp had a shotgun. I saw no arms on the others. I then went down Fourth Street to the corner of Fremont and crossed to the opposite side of Fourth Street and saw Frank McLaury holding a horse and in conversation with somebody. I told McLaury I would have to disarm him; that there was likely to be some trouble in town and I proposed to disarm everybody that had an arm. He said he would not give up his gun; that he didn't intend to have any trouble. I insisted. About that time I saw Ike Clanton and Tom McLaury down the street below Fly's building. I said to Frank, "Come with me." We went to where Ike Clanton and Tom McLaury were standing. I said to them, "Boys, you must give up your arms." Billy Clanton and William Claiborne, alias Billy the Kid, were also there. Frank McLaury demurred. Ike Clanton told us he was unarmed. I put my arm around his waist and found that he was not armed. Tom McLaury pulled his coat open and showed that he was not armed. I saw five standing there and asked how many there were of their party. They said four. Claiborne said he was not one of them; that he was there wanting them to leave town. I said, "Boys, you must go up to the sheriff's office, lay aside your arms, and stay till I get back." I told them I was going to disarm the other party. At that time I saw Earps and Holliday coming down the
south side of Fremont Street. They came by the post office and Bauer's shop. I mean Morg Earp and Doc Holliday. I said to the Clanton party, "I see them coming down; wait here; I will go up and stop them." I walked twenty-two or twenty-three steps up street and met them as they were coming out from under the awning of Bauer's shop and told them not to go any further, that I was there for the purpose of disarming the Clanton party. They did not heed me. I said, "Go back; I am not going to allow any trouble if I can help it." They brushed past me, and I turned and went with them or followed them, expostulating. When they arrived within a few feet of the Clantons and McLaurys, I heard one of them say, I think it was Wyatt Earp, " You s--s of b-----s, you have been looking for a fight, and now you can have it." About this time a voice said, "Throw up your hands." During this time pistols were pointed. I saw a nickel-plated pistol in particular. It was in the hands of the Earp party, I think Doc Holliday. It was pointed, I think, at Billy Clanton. I am not certain that Holliday had it. When order was given to "throw up your hands," I heard Billy Clanton say, "Don't shoot me; I don't want to fight." At same time, Tom McLaury threw open his coat and said: "I have nothing," or "I am not armed," or words to that effect, making the same remark and gesture he had previously made to me. I don't remember the position of Billy Clanton's hands. My attention was directed on the nickel-plated pistol for a couple of seconds. The nickel-plated pistol was the first fired and almost instantaneously came two shots right together. The first shots could not have been from the same pistol; they were too close together. The nickel-plated pistol was fired by he second man from the right. After the first two or three shots were fired very rapidly, the firing was general. The first two shots were fired by the Earp party. I thought the next three shots came from the same side, but was not certain. It is only my impression. After the words "throw up your hands," immediately the nickel-plated pistol went off. I saw Frank
McLaury with one hand to his belly and with his right hand shooting toward Morgan Earp. As he started across the street, I heard a couple of shots from the direction in which Frank McLaury went. I looked and saw him running and a shot was fired and he fell over on his head. I heard Morg Earp say, "I got him." There may have been a couple of shots afterward, but that was the end of the fight. I did not see the effect of the two first shots that were fired; the only parties I saw fall were Frank McLaury and Morgan Earp. I saw no effects from the next three shots. The first man I thought was hit was Frank McLaury. I saw him staggering and bewildered shortly after the first five shots. I never saw any arms in the hands of anybody of the McLaury party except Frank McLaury and Billy Clanton. I saw Frank McLaury on the sidewalk a few feet from the line of the front of the lot. I think that eight or ten shots had been fired before I saw arms in the hands of any of the McLaury or Clanton party. Frank McLaury was the first man in whose hands I saw a pistol. After the first few shots, Ike Clanton broke and ran. I saw him at the back corner of Fly's house running into the back building.

    When Ike Clanton broke and ran I did not know where he went. I found him afterward in Emanuel's building on Tough Nut Street. I saw a shotgun with Holliday before the fight commenced, as they were coming down the street. He had it under his coat. I did not see the gun go off, and if I heard the report I did not distinguish it from a pistol. I afterward examined Billy Clanton, before he died, as he was lying in the street. After he was taken in the house all I heard him say was to go away and let him die. I saw him when he was lying on the sidewalk, and saw him when he shot Morgan Earp. A number were in the room when Billy Clanton was carried in. Dr. Gilberson said it was no use to give him anything. I left before Billy Clanton died. He was gasping when I left. Tom McLaury's body was in the same room.

Tombstone-Seite | Arizona-Seite mit Colt | ohne Colt